Saturday, September 22, 2012

Deanna Jay Chu Nim Showcases John Dowland Lute Music

Deanna Jay Chu Nim Leads Us to a World of Lutists , Classical Guitarists,  & Luthiers

Deanna Jay Chu Nim "Come Again ,Sweet Love,Doth Now Invite"
I recognize John Dowland's name because his repertoire of music composition are especially targeted for lute and stringed instruments. In my younger years I used to take lessons in classical guitar and violin so I know the world of luthiers. In fact the classical guitar is my favorite instrument of all instruments because the music coming from a classical guitar  is melodramatic and romantically hypnotizing. I almost forgot I once performed a classical guitar duet with a famous classical guitarist(He said,"You there at back you're going to play with me on stage". I was actually very quiet at back of the room)  but I don't practice as much now. Classical guitar  is difficult because you do it note for note rather than by chords.  But I still love to compose musical pieces.

Deanna's piece is also one of the main attraction placed near the entrance wall. It's visually big at the same time content is beautiful. Deanna writes, "This gilded piece was inspired by John Downland(1563-1626), guitar and lute professor  John Schneiderman  and luthier Mel Wong who reopened the door for me to the wealth of early music." There's a revival of John Dowland's music because his compositions still touch a listener's heart and soul.



Detailed Look of  "Come Again ,Sweet Love,Doth Now Invite"


One who plays a guitar is a guitarist. One who plays a lute is a lutenist, lutanist or a lutist .
A maker of any string instrument(violins,viola,guitars,cello)  is a luthier. Stradivarius was a luthier in Cremona. I can do another post on world of luthiers, classical guitarists and lutists later.

I was not a fan of  rock and pop star Sting but when I heard him sing John Dowland's "Come Again, Sweet Love" while playing a lute, oh boy I became a fan because in a rock atmosphere his lovely voice was usually drowned by electric guitars.

While Deanna uses her calligraphy to showcase John Dowland, listen to Sting interpret Downland's music. He's also playing the lute with lutist Edin Kamarazov.

To serenade you with Claire De Lune,listen to two of my favorite classical guitarists Julian Bream & John Williams. It will make your day  or night. Julian Bream performed and played in Berkeley several years ago.

Thanks Deanna for taking me back to my memories of lutists, lutes, classical guitars & violins. At one point in my life, I was crazy researching the world of Stradivarius, violins , Andres Segovia,  classical guitars but that needs another post.




1 comment:

  1. and thanks, Elizabeth, for posting this. Years ago I went to Musick Tage at a castle in the Bavarian alps. I didn't speak German very well, but fortunately, the performers were English-speaking, so I was seated for meals with them, and one of them was Julian Bream! (Others were George Malcolm, harpsichordist, and Peter Pears, the counter tenor) A wonderful, wonderful time for me.

    Jane Brenner

    ReplyDelete