Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mary Ann Wight's Screenshot Transforms High-Tech to Low Tech

One of the pieces that got my attention at Kalligraphia 13 was Mary Ann Wight's "Screenshot". This term is  used in high-tech projects. A system or a database designer has to design how a screen will look to the user. Mary Ann transformed a high-tech  concept and created it handmade not through computers.
Mary Ann Wight "Screenshot" with MacOsX operating system
See detailed stitching
It's computerese but handmade.

I was part of a project for 2 and a half years and there were meetings all the time in a large room which has the size of three regular sized rooms. People who attended brought their laptops along to take notes.

We were grouped  by units per expertise. I was with the IT team. Usually I bring my laptop too but this time I brought my notebook, you know the one with spiral wires and I pulled out my Osmiroid calligraphy pen. Peter  said, "Look, Lizzie has a calligraphy pen". A lawyer on my left saw my calligraphy pen and joked, "Uh-uh, my technical confidence in this project just plummeted to the lowest low."   The subtext was--- this person represents the high-tech team but she's using an ancient instrument. " Goodness, gracious. 

I laughed and didn't say anything. I forgot that Steve Jobs touted calligraphy which inspired him to design Apple products. I should have answered, "Tell that to Steve Jobs."

Well, the lawyer's comments were not on the money. Not only we finished the project but it won the 'Honours Laureate Medal". And recently our project team got an award on the upgrade for saving tons of $$$$$$, chunks of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment