Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Brian Huynh Offers Halsted’s Love Letter to San Francisco

Brian Huynh "Not My  Heart" Contradicts  Tony Bennet "I Left My Heart in San Francisco"  in a Sentimental but Delightful Way about the City


Brian Huyhn "Not  My Heart"


San Francisco is the host for Kalligraphia 13. The San Francisco Public Library managed by the city is the venue for the exhibition. Yet only one calligrapher bothered to pay homage to San Francisco. Most viewers look for pieces of star calligraphers or which piece is cute or which one has perfect letter.  Not me- I look for content, heart, originality and strangeness. Whimsy, passionate - a piece that has a narrative, tells a story .

Brian Huynh has a piece on Halsted’s “Not My Heart” addressing a  letter to the City of San Francisco . It contradicts “Tony Bennet's crooning of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco. Halsted writes she didn’t leave her heart in San Francisco
  
Yet if the San Francisco Mayor were to give an award to an exhibit piece for offering a heart-wrenching note  to San Francisco, it is Brian Hyunh’s “Not my heart”.

Brian Huynh writes  a  story  about “ Not My Heart”-- “Halsted, a Library Tech Assistant at the San Francisco Public Libray moved to Scotland. Here are thoughts on the City.”   The city refers to San Francisco


San Francisco
by Halsted

San Francisco
You taught me what it meant  to expect beauty
down every alleyway,
to believe in magic
because living without it is dying a little each day.

I left something with you
But not my heart

You gave me my heart.


It’s The San Francisco Spirit –  a loving ode to San Francisco, Brian & Halsted are winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment