Saturday, August 4, 2012

Michiko Toyama- Chikara - Power

Michiko Toyama    Chikara reinforces "CAN DO " spirit at Kalligraphia 13.


Michiko Toyama "Chikara"

 (Chikara), the Japanese word meaning power, capability, or influence
I asked Janet Glessner permission if I could use her piece for my writing activity. She smiled, "Sure".
Looking through the Kalligraphia 13 catalogue, I zoomed to the G names, no Glessner listed there.
However when I was checking out the names for students  for the Fort Mason students who were in the exhibition, I finally found out that Janet used her Japanese name "Michiko Toyama", I recognized her name from her emails. I liked it when Janet opted to use her Japanese name. Our VONA writing  conference always reminds the poets & writers attendees to celebrate,honor & remember your heritage.

Janet's quotation "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." is almost similar to the Bible's Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

When in doubt or  afraid, I usually pray "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." This prayer revives my power & energy again to move forward and make things happen. Once, I was about to enter a room when I heard Big J, the chief and my immediate supervisor talking about me, so I hid in corner door and listened in. They were discussing if I'd completed the assignment for a project.
Big J said, "When she says, it's done, it's done. She's a 'can do' person." Big J has passed away but I'll always cherish him for believing in me that I'm a 'can do' person.

One time, I wondered where the soul of Big J was  and when I clicked remote control of the tv and as if answering my question - there was George Burns who played God in Oh God (I & II sequel) movie , singing to a kid " I've got the horse right here, his name is Paul Revere "- 'can do, can do' .  Yes, I know Big J soul was somewhere in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment